New Trier's Modern and Classical Languages Department is proud to announce the final list of students who were awarded the Seal of Biliteracy in 2018.
The Seal of Biliteracy is an award granted by the Illinois State Board of Education and given by New Trier High School in recognition and celebration of students who demonstrate a high level of proficiency in English and one or more other languages. Students demonstrate their language proficiency in English and another language by earning high scores on state approved assessments.
Learning another language prepares students to be citizens of the global community by developing an awareness and appreciation of other cultures. The process of learning to comprehend and communicate in another language develops insight into the nature of language, as well as connections to other disciplines. The Seal of Biliteracy builds upon the rich linguistic and cultural assets of the district and community, providing students with the necessary skills to be successful in college, career, and life.
The Modern and Classical Languages Department is pleased to recognize the following 142 New Trier seniors of the class of 2018 who demonstrated proficiency in English and another language earning 147 Seal of Biliteracy awards:
- Chinese : Aviv Barad, Daniel Cheng, Elliot Chow, Carolyn Genty, Jason Paul, Amia Ross, Abraham Sun, Blair Wang, Tianyuan Wu, Hannah Xu, Guangmei Yang, Albert Yen
- French : Alexandre Boury, Sophie Brown, Roslyn Co, Zachary Crispino, Caroline David, Sophia Feinerman, Olivia Finks, Jasmine Gonzalez, Sophia King, Alexandre Kulp, Mihir Kumar, Ava Lotsoff, Rebecca Miller, William Murphy, Eleanor Preston, Allison Salmon, Tianyuan Wu
- German : Ethan Paul, Piper Phillips, Ella Torres, Julia Vining
- Hebrew : Aviv Barad, Amia Ross, Elli Sweet
- Japanese : Sora Seals
- Latin : Evan Allada, Jason Brickman, Faith Chen, Joseph Farina, Andrew, Feng, Molly Gallagher, Coleman Horvath, Madeline Joseph, Thomas Okun, Peter Seymour, Marie Sowlat,
- Russian : Natalia Semaniuk
- Spanish : Jude Al-Abosy, Jessica Alt, Yamenah Ambreen, Nicole Basil, Tony Bayvas, Bibiana Belkanp Fernanadez, Mateo Blair, Emma Bliwas, Andrea Blood, Jami Blumenthal, Alexander Boudos, Tess Britton, Anna Brooks, John Brown, Jack Cable, Lily Carley, Linda Chiu, Ellliot Chow, Ben Citow, Katelyn Cody, Elizabeth Cudmore, Katerina Dabrowski, Silpian Dhiantravan, Stephanie Elkins, Owen Eskandari, Tatum Ewing, William Felitto, Mackenzie Fleming, Andrew Fortin, Anne Free, Molly French, Gustav Gilchrist, Sophia Girgenti, Lisa Gong, Elena Gonzalez, Patrick Gridley, Ryan Gridley, MacClement Guthrie, Elainia Gupta, Jacob Hagist, Stephen Hajjar, Elise Hall, Caroline Hartman, Matilda Hilarides, Eden Hirschfield, Jared Hoffman, Caroline Hunken, Arielle Imber, Jacob Imber, Sophie Jednorowicz, Kelly Kang, Annie Kaplan, Elena Karahalios, Nicholas Kiser, Alexandre Kulp, John Lamason, Charlotte Lane, Mia Lecinski, Rebecca Lee, Jacob Levy, Leeber Lichtor, Aidan Macpherson, Eduardo Mendoza, Sarah Miller, Meriel Mischler, Ellie Monieson, Jonas Monieson, Catherine Murdock, Margaret Murdock, Peter Murray, Ilana Nazari, Ellen Noeh, Daniel Oh, Liam Oh, Andrew Olson, Seoyeon Park, Ursula Qureshi, Rachel Ruzumna, Emma Schwartz, Kailyn Scobie, Christopher Shelton, Morgan Sheridan, Mia Sherin, Eliot Smith, Meghan Smith, Loren Steinberg, Kara Struckman, Alexander Swett, Arjun Thakkar, John Tucker, Allison Uebele, Gabe Wineman, Ashton Womsley, Vivian Wu, Jisu Yang, Albert Yen, Loren Yousha, Grant Zirlin.
The department also honors seniors who earned the Illinois State Commendation toward Biliteracy. These 49 seniors demonstrated intermediate proficiency in English and another language: David Allgaier, Jaine Archambeau, Serena Braun, Joseph Carey, Samantha Chipman, Brianna Chou, John Crawford, Emily Curylo, Grace Donnelly, Sammy Fogel, Colleen Furth, William Gourley, Kinsey Hagedom, LaurenHoagland, Haley Hoover, Elliot Jung-Beeman, Lucas Kane, Carli Kanter, Katherine Kessler, Esther Lee, Katherine Lorenz, Rachel Mehlman, Leigh Meyer, Graham Michelson, Allen Moy, Bryce Murphy, Dory Mydlach, Kelly Olvany, Grace O'Toole, John Papas Dennerline, Dillan Prasad, Charles Ray, Elise Reehl, Mason Rodriguez Rand, Sophie Sain, Sophie Sain, Ethan Santiccioli, Natalia Semaniuk, Sean Shin, Danielle Sirivat, Samuel Slomski-Pritz, Spencer Stilp, Eliza Tilson, Grace Verhoog, Rachel Weix, Ashton Womsley, Emma Yang, Natalie Ye, Michelle Yurovsky, Noah Zelinsky
Of special note are the seven students who qualified for biliteracy awards in multiple languages:
Aviv Barad , Chinese (Seal) and Hebrew (Seal) Both the students who earned the Seal of Biliteracy and the Commendation toward Biliteracy will have their achievement acknowledged on their diploma and transcripts.
Alexandre Kulp , French (Seal) and Spanish (Seal)
Amia Ross , Chinese (Seal) and Hebrew (Seal)
Sophie Sain , Chinese (Commendation) and French (Commendation)
Natalia Semaniuk , Russian (Seal) and German (Commendation)
Tianyuan Wu , Chinese (Seal) and French (Seal)
Albert Yen , Chinese (Seal) and Spanish (Seal)
祝贺, Congratulations, Félicitations, Herzlichen Glückwunsch , טובמזל,
おめでとうございます congratulationes , Поздравляем, Felicitaciones!