Greetings from the NTPA Class of 2020 Board!
We hope your students have had a wonderful sophomore year! Here at the NTPA, we offered a variety of events and programs to help make the transition to the Winnetka campus a fruitful one, including these highlights:
- The opening Sophomore Parent Coffee in September with Sophomore Adviser Chairs Julie Smith and Ted Koulentes, who shared information about on-campus resources, testing, and more.
- The NTPA program "Straight Talk" in October, when a panel shared valuable information about teen risk behaviors and what New Trier and parents can do to help
- LEAD's presentation of "Right Under Your Nose: Signs of Teen Alcohol and Drug Use" in November. Click
here for more details and to view the video that was presented.
- The second Sophomore Parent Coffee in January featuring Tim Hayes, assistant superintendent for student services, discussing teen stress and anxiety.
- The NT Parent Book Group, which offered the opportunity for freshman and sophomore parents to read and discuss
How to Raise an Adult
by Julie Lythcott-Haims.
- A final Sophomore Parent Coffee in May, held in the evening, at which parents heard from Tom Shorrock, post high school counselor, about the new challenges ahead for our students during junior year.
We hope you found a way to get involved with the NTPA this year. To stay current on upcoming events and take advantage of parent opportunities:
- Bookmark this page.
- Read the regularly updated reminders and materials below.
- Check this page as the new school year approaches; it will be updated with new information when available.
Grateful for your participation in our parent community,
Ami and Sally
Important Reminders and Information
Teen Risk Behaviors: Vaping and More
parents want to better understand vaping and other teen risk behaviors. This
sheet and this booklet
provide useful information on the subject. Also, see this
article from the New York Times for information about recent
research on vaping.
The NTPA was pleased to host representatives
from LEAD to present at "Right Under Your Nose: Signs of Teen Alcohol & Drug
Use" on November 1, 2017. Click here
to view the video that was mentioned during the presentation. Please contact
NTPA Program Chair Heather Pigott ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) with any
questions or comments.
New Trier offers a student tutoring program. Students can sign up for a session with a student tutor, and they can also volunteer to tutor other students. Click
New Trier's Post-High School Counseling Office offers an optional newsletter for parents of sophomores. The newsletter is sent via email approximately six times during the year. For more details, or to be added to the distribution list, scroll down on this page and click Sign-up for Sophomore Parent Newsletters!
TED Talk: How to Raise Successful Kids-Without Over-Parenting
by Julie Lythcott-Haims
Vaping Can Be Addictive and May Lure Teens to Smoking, Science Panel Concludes
by Sheila Kaplan
Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?
by Jean Twenge
I Used to Be a Human Being
by Andrew Sullivan
Teachers, Parents Often Misuse Growth Mindset Research, Carol Dweck Says
by The Hechinger Report
Parent University - Parent Education Programs
Welcome to Parent University, a central location for all New Trier Parent Educational programming including seminars, round tables, coffees and informational meetings. Programming listed here is intended for the New Trier community, and is sponsored by New Trier High School, New Trier parent organizations and various community groups.
to see upcoming events and their descriptions.