New Trier Chinese language students participated in the 11 th Annual Great Lakes Speech Contest on Sunday, April 28th. The contest, sponsored by the Confucius Institute of Valparaiso University (CIVU), invited high school students from Illinois and Indiana to demonstrate their skills in the Chinese language on the Valparaiso University campus.
Over 150 students from 20 high schools participated. In addition to New Trier, the schools included Naperville North High School, Naperville Central High School, the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, Oak Park and River Forest High School, and Schaumburg High School.
Contestants were divided by level (Chinese 1, 2, and 3) and competed in a spoken category and a written category. There was also a talent show portion, in which students showcased their talents in Chinese arts such as music, painting, calligraphy, dance, Kung Fu, and poem recitation.
New Trier Contest Results:
- Speech: Daniel Roytburg, 1 st place; Jade Rashid & Abbey Konosky, 2 nd place
- Writing: Abbey Konosky, 1 st place; Daniel Roytburg, 2 nd place; Jade Rashid, 3 rd place
- Talent Show: Jade Rashid (Chinese calligraphy and painting), 2 nd place
- Speech: Mia Sedgwick, 1 st place; Julia Nagel, 2 nd place; Billy Nayman & Chelsea Lu, 3 rd place
- Writing: Mia Sedgwick & Julia Nagel, 2 nd place; Chelsea Lu, 3 rd place
- Talent Show: Mia Sedgwick (singing Chinese songs), 2 nd place; Billy Nayman (singing Chinese songs), 3 rd place