December 14, 2020
Dear New Trier Families,
This school year has been different than any other school year, and naturally final exams will look different too. The time for an end of semester assessment is built into the calendar to give students and teachers an opportunity for a culminating experience that is authentic to the type of learning inherent in each course. Some courses will not administer an assessment while others will adapt an assessment appropriate for student learning in this environment.
End of semester assessments will be held on January 19, 20, and 21 , with Modern & Classical Language's (MCL) typical Language Proficiency Assessments taking place the week before. Here is some important information for you and your student:
End of Semester Information
- All assessments will be administered remotely. There will be no on-campus classes the week of January 18.
- Assessments will take place during a student's regularly scheduled class periods.
- During finals week, students will attend ONLY their classes with a scheduled end of semester experience or assessment in English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and electives courses taken for major credit. Other classes will not meet.
- January 18-22 is homework-free. Other than regular preparation for end of semester assessments, no homework will be due this week.
- Students will have no more than TWO assessments per day. If a student's schedule includes more than two assessments in a single day, they should make arrangements with their teacher with the assistance of their adviser and/or case manager.
- Case managers and teachers will make arrangements for students with extended time.
- MCL Language Proficiency Assessments will take place during regular class time during the week of January 11. These are generally individual speaking and listening assessments and can take place in person or remotely.
- Friday, January 22 is a Grading Day with no school for students.
- No exams, assessments, projects, or papers will be due on January 25.
- Final assessments may not exceed 20% of the final grade
Schedule for End of Semester Assessments
Monday, January 18 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Friday, January 22 for Grading Day.
First Day of Second Semester:
Tuesday, January 26. This is a regular school day and an in-person day for students with last names beginning with A-K.
Denise Dubravec Paul Waechtler
Principal, Winnetka Campus Principal, Northfield Campus