Write a script, grab that camera, and find some actors-it's time to enter your film in New Trier's Greg Harris Film Festival. This year the format of the fest will be different. Films will be due on Monday April 12 for the general categories and on Monday April 19 for the Film Race Category. During the week of May 3, we will screen the official selections on our YouTube channel, asking advisers to show them through that week. On Friday May 7, we will Live Stream the awards ceremony at 7:30. If you're up for the challenge, this is what you need to know:
- The deadline to enter films is Monday April 12 for general categories and April 19 for the Film Race (see below for details).
Click here to fill out the form for your entry.
- Any genre- music video, comedy, drama, thriller/suspense, horror, spoof, experimental, documentary, animation, movie trailer, commercial/PSA-is fair game
- Films can range from 1-6 minutes; you may submit more than one movie
- Remember that parents, siblings and faculty will be present-create a film for all audience
- Dress for the night-it's a film festival-pull out those jackets and ties and gowns. Let's do it in style
- Not all films will be shown during the festival; a panel of judges will select films to be screened; all those who submit will be notified whether they have been selected
- Each entry file should be named the same as the title of the movie
- Each entry should have a 5 second "slate" (a simple black and white title card with the name of the project and those submitting it), followed by 2 seconds of black. This "slate" will not take the place of traditional titles or be shown at the fest, but is helpful in identifying the movie and the creators.
- Include 2 seconds of black at the end of movie
- Adjust your audio levels so that they peak at -6 db. This will prevent audio distortion
- Stop by the Helpdesk if you have any questions or need technical assistance
- If you have questions, contact
Ready! Get Set! Film Race!
As a special genre, the film race will be open to all students who are up for a different challenge.
You will have 72 hours -from Friday April 16 to Monday April 19-to make a short film (30 seconds to 4 minutes) that must include 2 secret elements:
- a line of dialogue: "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"
- a specific object: A coffee mug
Both the line of dialogue and the object will be revealed on Friday April 16.
The dialogue and object have to be somewhere in the film, though they do not have to play a major role in the plot or story.
Students can enter more than one film-for instance a regularly shot film and a film race film
All Film Race movies must be submitted no later than Monday April 19 by 3:30pm