Congratulations to the 2019-20 Kinesis!
Kinesis Roster 2019-20
This is a modern dance-based curriculum integrated with ballet, jazz, world dance forms, and somatics. Four levels of dance as well as
are offered to accommodate the developmental needs of female and male students, and encompass technical training, improvisation, composition, performance and critical analysis. Courses in dance share the essential understandings of the Kinetic Wellness department and contribute to personal wellness.
All courses in the Dance Division, with the exception of
Freshman Dance 2
, satisfy the Kinetic Wellness graduation requirement. Sophomores may elect dance in place of
Kinetic Wellness 2
, but they must fulfill one semester of health education. Only
Kinetic Wellness 1
do not require a placement class.
Students have a variety of opportunities to participate in co-curricular and extracurricular performances and dance events throughout the year.
Technical training, creating, performing and evaluating are the essential elements in the study of dance as an art form. The Dance Division regards the creative process to be of
to technical training or finished products. Problem-solving, cooperative learning, critical thinking and self expression are the cornerstones of the Dance Division's educational philosophy. Dance naturally occurs as an interdisciplinary art form that incorporates all the arts and makes connections between all disciplines. In the end, we hope to give our students another means to interpret the world around them and develop an appreciation for all of the visual and performing arts.
This is a modern dance-based curriculum integrated with ballet, jazz and world dance forms along with elements of Yoga and Pilates. Students experience dance through technique, improvisation, composition and performance. Four levels of dance are offered on the Winnetka campus to accommodate the developmental needs of male and female students from novice to the highly skilled dancer. The Northfield campus presently offers two levels: Kinetic Wellness 1/Dance 1 (no placement class necessary) and Freshman Dance 2 (placement class required).
Dance technique courses may be used to fulfill seven semesters of the Kinetic Wellness requirement for graduation. Any dance course taken in addition to a Kinetic Wellness class receives Fine Arts credit. This option allows students to include dance in their schedule as a Fine Arts elective.
Sophomore dancers in Dance 2,3,4 * and Menz Dance must fulfill the KW Health requirement for graduation either of two ways:
- Dance 1st semester and Health 2nd semester
- Dance two semesters and Health one semester during another period (This is the only option for sophomores recommended for Dance 4 ; Dance 4 must be taken the entire year)
All classes meet daily for approximately 30 minutes of activity. Dance Lab is a daily 75-minute class for serious minded advanced dancers to study in depth the art, craft and science of modern dance.
Except for Kinetic Wellness 1/Dance 1 and Dance 1 , level placement classes are required for registration. Students currently enrolled in dance are assessed in class. Placement classes are held for students new to NT dance. Courses may be repeated with permission of the instructor. All classes are sequentially arranged by ability level as follows:
- Kinetic Wellness 1/Dance 1 - Full year on the Northfield Campus (Fulfills freshman KW requirement
- Freshman Dance 2 - Full year on the Northfield Campus (elective)
- Menz Dance - Full year or one semester (Sophomores must fulfill one semester of KW Health)
- Dance 2 - Full year or one semester (Sophomores must fulfill one semester of KW Health)
- Dance 3 - Full year or one semester (Sophomores must fulfill one semester of KW Health)
- Dance 4 - Full year
- Dance at Dawn - Full year, early bird class
- Dance Lab 1 - Full year, Jr./ Sr. only (4-level course)
No athletic waiver.
Senior Project participants must complete entire year.
Recommendation from current dance teacher is required for Dance Lab courses. Seniors wishing to go on "Senior Project" must choose abbreviated project in order to attend class.
- Dance Lab 2 - Full year, Sr. only (4-level course) No athletic from current dance teacher is required for Dance Lab courses. Seniors wishing waiver.
Senior Project participants must complete entire year. Recommendation to go on "Senior Project" must choose abbreviated project in order to attend class.
PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES & DANCE EVENTS 2018-2019
Besides those formal concerts listed below, studio performances are held throughout the year in order that dancers may share their creative experiences with each other.
- Northfield Dance Ensemble (NDE) Lunchtime Information Meeting , Northfield Cafeteria, Wednesday, Sept. 5, periods 4-6
- Northfield Dance Ensemble (NDE) Information Meeting , Winnetka Dance Studio G012, Wednesday, Sept. 5, 3:30pm
- Northfield Dance Ensemble (NDE) Lunchtime Information Meeting , Northfield Cafeteria, Thursday, Sept. 6, periods 4-6
- Northfield Dance Ensemble (NDE) Information Meeting , Northfield Dance Studio, Thursday, Sept. 6, 3:10pm
- Northfield Dance Ensemble (NDE) Information Meeting , Winnetka Dance Studio G012, Friday, Sept. 7, 7:45am
- Northfield Dance Ensemble Choreographer Auditions , Northfield Dance Studio, Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 11 & 12, 3:15pm
- Northfield Dance Ensemble Casting Day , Northfield Dance Studio, Thursday, Sept. 13, 4pm
- Northfield Dance Ensemble Workshop for all selected NDE choreographers , Northfield Dance Studio, Monday, Sept. 17, 4pm
- First NDE rehearsal, Northfield Dance Studio, Tuesday, Sept. 18
- Kinesis Parent Coffee Information Meeting , Winnetka Campus EPI Center (301) Thursday, September 20, 6:30-7:30 pm.
- Kinesis Car Wash , Essex parking lot, Winnetka Campus, Saturday, September 29, 10 am -1pm
- Northfield Dance Day , Cornog Auditorium, Periods 5-9, Wednesday, Dec. 19. Free. A showcase celebration of student work, a culmination of in-class choreographic projects, as well as dances performed by NDE, Kinesis, and Menz Dance. Community members are welcome to attend.
- Middle School Dance Workshop/dinner/performance, Northfield Dance Studio, Wednesday, Dec. 19. Details TBA
- Northfield Dance Ensemble Showcase , Cornog Auditorium, Wednesday, Dec. 19, 7pm $5, free for New Trier students with ID. A showcase of original student choreography.
- Level Placement Class, Northfield Dance Studio Friday, January 18 4-5:15 pm. A class for rising freshmen interested in being placed into Freshman Dance 2 at the Northfield campus. Upperclassmen interested in being considered for higher level dance classes may also attend.
There will be one more class offered on January 24 for those who cannot attend this date
- Level Placement Class, Northfield Dance Studio Thursday, January 24, 4-5:15 pm. A class for rising freshmen interested in being placed into Freshman Dance 2 at the Northfield campus. Upperclassmen interested in being considered for higher level dance classes may also attend. This is the final class offered for placement (The first class was on 1/18/19)
- Kinesis Dance Company Concert, Cornog Auditorium. Thursday and Friday, February 7 & 8, 7 pm, $7; Saturday, February 9, 2 pm $5. A formal winter concert by this junior and senior company. Choreography is created by the students, faculty and guest artists. Saturday is a Family matinee with special guests, Menz Dance. Auditions for new members will be held on May 14.
- DTNT Choreographer Audition, Winnetka Dance Studios Tuesday, February 19, 3:30-5 pm All
, Dance 4, Dance Lab and
students are encouraged to present original material to be considered for choreography in the May, Dance Theater New Trier Concert.
- Dance Day Auditions , Winnetka Dance studios G12 & 14 Wednesday, February 20, 3:30-6. The entire school is invited to audition original dances for inclusion in this event.
- Callbacks will be held on Wednesday, March 20, same time and location
- DTNT Dancer Audition, Winnetka Dance Studios Thursday, February 21, 3:30-5pm An audition for dancers at the Winnetka Campus Dance Studios open to students enrolled in
- DTNT First Rehearsal, Winnetka Dance Studios Monday, February 25, 3:30-5:30 pm
- Dance Day Callbacks, Winnetka Dance studios G12 & G14 Wednesday, March 20, 3:30-5:30. All dances to be considered for inclusion in Dance Day Winnetka. See February 20 for first auditions.
- Dance Day Winnetka , Gaffney Auditorium, Thursday, April 12, periods 1-9 free
A beloved annual all-day celebration of student work, including a culmination of in-class choreographic projects created by the freshman through senior students. Community members are welcome to attend.
- Dance Theater New Trier Concert, Cornog Auditorium, Thursday and Friday, May 2 & 3, 7pm, $7. A formal concert by this student performance group. Choreography is created by the students, faculty and guest artists. Rehearsals are held after school beginning February 25.
- Kinesis Audition, Winnetka Dance Studios Tuesday, May 14, 3:30-6 pm. An audition at the Winnetka Campus open to rising juniors and seniors. All students who are chosen for this ensemble are required to sign up for Dance Lab. However, all students are invited and encouraged to attend this audition simply for the experience and practice of auditioning.
- Dance Lab 2 Showcase, Winnetka Dance Studio Theater G14 Tuesday, May 21, 7 pm. A showcase of solos, duets, trios and small groups choreographed by the seniors of Dance Lab 2.